Architecture of yesterday announced AmLogic AML8726-MX CPU is now revealed a bit more.
AmLogic AML8726-MX CPU architecture
CPU part is (as you may expect), double of AML8726-M (Cortex-A9) ARM core. Amlogic annouced 7500 DMIPS, from which fact we have deducted 1,5GHz operational frequency:
7500 DMIPS / 2 cores / 2,5 DMIPS per MHz = 1,5Ghz
But what about graphics? We already speculated about GPU: Now its confirmed, there are two Mali-400 GPU cores inside, operating at 300-400 MHz, giving this chip power up to
88 Mtriangles/s 44 Mtriangles/s and fill rate 3.2 GPixels/s 800 MPixel/s. (apologize, I did not noticed that 800 MPixels mentioned in Mali400MP specifications on ARM website is not for one core, but for 4-core config @200MHz).
Just compare those figures with iPad GPU performance:
- iPad: PowerVR SGX535 … 28 MTri/s, 500MP/s
- iPad2 PowerVR SGX543MP2 … 70 MTri/s, 2000MP/s
- new iPad: PowerVR SGX543MP4 … 140 MTri/s, 4000MP/s
- a tablet with AML8726-MX: dual Mali-400MP@400MHz… 44 MTri/s, 800MP/s
- a tablet with Rockchip RK3066: quad Mali-400MP@266MHz … 30MTri/s, 1066MP/s
Please, realize that new iPad has 4-times more pixels to work with, which is huge amount of work for GPU (and cause of new iPad overheating issues) . For displays used in 7″ tablets (mostly 1024×600 and sometimes just 800×480), 1Gpixel/s is more than enough to bring very good graphical and game performance.